Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Steak with Black Beans and Tomatillo Salsa


I read this recipe on some food blog I can not remember the name of and I decided to wing it the other night. I bought some buffalo steaks (supposedly lower in fat and much healthier than beef) and went to town. I grilled the steaks on my grill pan and while those were heating up I added a rinsed can of black beans to a pan with some olive oil. Then I added about half a jar of tomatillo salsa. This was heating to perfection while I sliced up an avocado.
For the plating I placed the warm and spicy beans on the bottom of a shallow bowl, placed the buffalo on top, and then the avocado, sprinkled with sea salt, and some scallions. The picture is not the best and honestly it didn't look the best. The color of the meat with the beans is too similar. Perhaps if I had made it with steak and then sliced the steak so the red juicy innards were exposed it would have had a more interesting look. Oh well, I am not a food stylist so I suppose it doesn't matter. I ate all of my beans and avocado, which was delicious, and maybe half the meat. I don't really enjoy consuming too much of the stuff. Oh well, better luck next time. Actually I think that this would be really nice with some sliced flank steak on top. Hmmm...

No comments: