Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Yum Yum Teriyaki Chicken Dinner Party


I am getting to that age. What age you ask? The age when EVERYONE starts coupling up and it seems as though there are more weddings than weekends available in the year. My friends seem to be getting engaged left and right, so I decided to have a little dinner celebrating two newly engaged friends. And I thought I would share it would some other friends who are less newly engaged, but not yet married. So, on Sunday night everyone piled into my house for some wine, good conversation, and good food. I decided to make my faux Teriyaki Chicken, roasted corn and zucchini, and Ina Garten's heirloom tomato salad with Roquefort dressing.
Thank god none of these items were difficult or time consuming, because by the time Sunday rolled around my weekend had gotten away from me and I was completely unprepared to make dinner for 8 people (I mean 4 couples naturally, it seems as though individuality is on its way out.) So I ran on down to the ghetto Safeway as I like to call it (which now, funnily enough, looks like one of those neighborhoods that is "mixed" as some call it. High and low. They are currently remodeling it so it has the new larger produce section, the fancy wooden signage, better cheese, etc, but they are in the middle of construction. So some aisles are really nice and the others are full of half empty shelves and ripped up floors. And naturally I cannot find a thing because everything is all mixed up and the signs don't actually reflect anything that is in the aisles at this point...) Enough of that. Safeway was fine. I managed to overfill my basket, as usual, so I was stuck carrying around wine and heavy things and getting even more frustrated at the whole prospect. So I skedaddled on home and started getting things together.
The first thing I did was make my teriyaki-ish sauce. I paid a little attention the the recipe, but I must admit i don't really measure anything. I figure that I can tell if the taste will be alright and I go with my senses. I placed all the lovely chicken thighs and drumsticks in the marinade and stuck it in the fridge.

Over all, the meal was delicious. I would recommend to anyone using Ina's Roquefor dressing recipe to halve or cut it by a third. It made WAY too much,AND I used over 2lbs of tomatoes, and I placed it on a bed of arugula.
And yes, I am going to attempt to become a better food photographer. And I will also attempt not to have the food half eaten before I take the picture!!

Teriyaki- Ish Chicken (I doubled this and it was perfect for 8 people. Also, I used 2 packages of chicken thighs and one of drumsticks. And i kept the bones in and some skin on. For flavor)

6 chicken thighs
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp vegetable oil (I used olive oil)
1 tbsp chili sauce (I used that yummy thai stuff)
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground garlic (use more of these, they didn't show up enough)
Salt and Pepper

Combine all the ingredients and mix with the chicken. Marinate for one hour (or more) and back at 425F for 40 minutes.
Yum Yum.

No comments: