Monday, December 01, 2008

Carrot Pudding- A Thanksgiving Treat


I was asked to make Carrot Pudding for this year's Thanksgiving and I was happy to oblige! My mom gave me the recipe (and bought the ingredients, score!) and I went to work. I began by dicing the clean and trimmed carrots and then simmering them for about 20 minutes. Easy enough, right? While they simmered I hung out and chatted with my mom and cleaned even more carrots that eventually went into her Turkey Soup. My mother raves about her turkey soup every year but I have to be honest, I don't love the stuff. I'm not sure why, maybe it's never salty enough for me? (I am a salt fiend). And I love barley, one of the main ingredients, so it really doesn't make too much sense. Oh well.
After straining the carrots I allowed them to cool for a while and then pureed them in the Cuisinart with some onion until they were smooth as silk. Or as pureed carrots. This is the part of the recipe that would hold me back fro making it too often. Too many dirty dishes! You have the original sauce pan which simmers the carrots, then the Cuisinart, then you have to take out the electric egg beaters to beat the butter with the spices, and add the carrot. Following all that you place it in a baking dish. That is a lot of wreckage in the kitchen just for carrot pudding. I made it at my mom's house so it wasn't as bad, her kitchen is quite large and she has a dishwasher. But in my apartment I have limited counter space, so who knows if I'll make it again. There's a picture with the butter and all the spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, pepper, sugar, flour etc (I just spelled that "flower" a second ago, wow!) Beat that up, add the carrots and then beat in milk and eggs. It's an orangey goopy mess! But it gets good after you bake it for 1 hour. Basically this is a total Holiday recipe because it takes forever to cook. I don't have an hour of prep and an hour of baking time when I make dinner after work. Well if I did there would be some grumpy and hungry campers. But the finished product was delicious. It's just sweet enough and savory enough, and the carrots are so good. We've never been a sweet potato family so I think that this took the place. It looks like it could be sweet potatoes at least! It was finished off by the next day, partially by me. I even liked it cold. But I like everything cold and out of the container, one of those bad habits. I don't know why I can't just sit down and heat up a plate. It all tastes better from the serving bowl.

No comments: