Monday, December 08, 2008

Split Pea Soup- Forever


I made a crap load of soup last night. Seriously. I made so much. It is sort of ridiculous. I don't even know what to do with it all! And I bet you I have at least 10 servings still in my fridge at home. And I froze some. And I sent some with John to work. I have some in my fridge at work. This is getting crazy. Here's how it all started.
In the spirit of the recession and my own pathetic checkbook, I decided to make a ton of soup and feed myself and John for the week. Unfortunately I always forget that I don't want to eat the same thing every day for lunch and dinner. That's a lot of split peas! And don't get me wrong, I love the things, but already I feel like I am turning a bit green.
I went to the store last night and got groceries for the week. $67. Not bad, not good, but what can i say, there are certain things that I won't pay less for. Like I am not going to buy the cheapo eggs, I like my organic, free-range Judy's eggs. Hopefully the chickens will thank me one day. And I am addicted to string cheese, I just love the stuff. It doesn't run cheap either.
Earlier in the day I sat on the couch and read through a bunch of cookbooks and decided to go with an old favorite- Ina Garten's Split Pea Soup. I've made this many times and directly recall that it makes a lot, so I considered halving the recipe. But then I decided I wanted enough to freeze and for lunches, so I went with it. 6 large (mine were HUGE) carrots, 6 new potatoes, onion, garlic, oregano, 16 cups of chicken broth, two pounds of split peas, this was a hefty soup! I also decided to throw in some brown rice during the cooking, I thought this could add a little more texture and nutrition. What I didn't count on was how much more liquid I had to add, as the rice soaked up a lot of it. The good thing is that the rice worked! It added a really great texture to the soup that wouldn't have been there without it. So I am officially adding it to the recipe, but perhaps only using 1.5 pounds of lentils now.
To top off my endless pot of soup I made Ina's parmesan croutons. This is no more then thinly slicing a baguette, I bought a sourdough one, and laying it on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, some salt and pepper, and grated parmesan and you're done! Well, after 10 or so minutes in a 400 degree oven. These are delicious with the soup. My other little crispy treat was prosciutto. I stuck some slices in the oven with the croutons so they would be nice and crispy.
My bowl ended up quite pretty if you ask me! Lovely thick and chunky soup, prosciutto bits, crisp parmesan bread and some chopped parsley. It is delicious, but do I really have to eat it for a week?

No comments: