Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Why Much Chicken Muffin?


I made chicken another night last week as well. Why so much chicken does one ask? Hmm, there are a variety of reasons. First off, I am good at making chicken. I have a ton of recipes and I enjoy making them. Also, chicken is a compromise that John and I have. I prefer to eat mostly veggie meals, but I know that those won't really satisfy him. I still don't really make or enjoy red meat, a bite or two is really all I need, so we have a lot of chicken. I try my absolute best to buy free range/organic birds whenever possible. One way i save money is by buying chicken pieces with the bone in/skin on which are organic as opposed to the boneless skinless chicken breasts. It is a great way to save money and if you roast chicken, which is what I ordinarily do, they taste way better when cooked with the bones and skin.
This time I made a mustard chicken. I chopped up 2 shallots, some fresh rosemary and thyme, and mixed it with dijon mustard, olive oil, salt and pepper. I think I added a bit of white wine vinegar as well. Layer this all over the chicken in a roasting pan and you are pretty much done. I had some new potatoes and some red onions, so I chopped these up and stuck them on the side of the chicken. Roast at 425F for about an hour (check periodically) and you have a very tasty and nutritious dinner.
On the side I made green beans and mushrooms. Naturally I was so excited about eating I completely forgot to take any "after" photos. So these are all the "before" pics of the raw chicken. I will definitely make this again and remember to photograph it in all it's cooked glory!

No comments: