Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Organic Delivery- Planet Organics


Every other Tuesday I get a delivery to my office from a company called planetorganics.com. They put together a group of fruits and veggies for you but I usually customize my own the Friday before it comes. I have the $32 produce box. Now, you can get a box with groceries as well, but I usually stick to only veggies. What did I get in this week's box?
4 nectarines
3 Valencia Oranges
1 lb green Beans
4 White Corn
.5 lbs Black Prince Heirloom Tomatoes (in the bag)
1 Haas avocado
2 peaches
1 Purple Cauliflower
I bunch Pink Radishes
1 lb sweet potatoes
1 lb zucchini
So, what am I going to make with all this? Well, I usually use the radishes in salads throughout the week, as well as the tomatoes. I can make zucchini, green beans, corn, and cauliflower as my veggies sides for the next 10 days or so. I try to eat at least one to two pieces of fruit every day, and the sweet potatoes will be my starch for a couple of days. Or a tasty lunch at work.

I love the organic delivery. They often bring me veggies I wouldn't usually buy at the market, I am supporting a local business and local farms and the product is amazing. Recently I got little purple, yellow, and white carrots that were incredible. We are so used to eating mass produced produce that I forgot how sweet a carrot could be. It really is worth the money because you can save money by not having to use condiments on your veggies. A naturally sweet tomato doesn't need salt or vinegar, it is delicious on its own. So sign up if you can and make sure you eat your veggies! Five a day!

It's not that hard, when I think about it I am certain I eat WAY more than five every day. Already today I had a nectarine, a plum, and carrots, potatoes, beets, and onions at lunch. For dinner I will have tomatoes, both fresh and with the salsa, cabbage (thinking about serving the enchiladas on a bed of cabbage, ooh that sounds good), the chicken is mixed with stewed onions and zucchini, avocado, I am serving corn too... So I am pretty certain I am not missing any vegetables.

It's funny. I am not on a "diet." I never have been. I have made claims to WANT to diet or to need to, but I have never effectively been the kind of person who can limit what they eat, etc. That said, I believe I am fortunate that I actually crave food that is good for me. I love fruit and snack on fruit and raw almonds and pistachios almost every day. And besides the occasional bag of potato chips (Kettle Chips Sea Salt and Vinegar really hits the spot) and french fries if I am out, I don't eat an unhealthy diet. I am sure that I get enough vitamins with the amount of produce I eat. I eat cheese and butter but not in huge amounts (those are really the only dairy products I can consume these days. I have been lactose intolerant, or at least extremely sensitive to milk, cream, ice cream, etc for a number of years now). And since I have a HUGE love of bread, I try to make sure I buy whole grain bread for my daily toast habit (San Luis Sourdough makes an amazing whole grain sourdough).

I didn't eat any red meat or pork for over 15 years and just in the last few months I have been flirting with the animals. That said, I have not actually ordered a steak while out or eaten a hamburger, but I did have a bite out of my very first In & Out Burger the other day on the way home from Tahoe! And guess what, it was ok but I still preferred eating my "grilled cheese" that I had ordered. I like a bite every now and then, but I think I am going to stick to my basic diet of fish, free range chicken, and a little turkey. And I don't even eat those every day. Often times I will realize that it has been a week since I last had any meat products, completely fine by me. I could probably eat spaghetti with tomato sauce for dinner every night and be a happy girl, so there aren't any steak cravings from me!

The only foods I would say I really DON'T eat, or severely limit, is anything fake. I cannot stand the idea of "low fat" cookies or chips or cheese or any of that gunk that is loaded with preservatives and chemicals. I cannot understand how one would ever think that margarine was superior to natural butter, or that the nasty fake frozen yogurt that comes out of a machine is better Haagen Daz which has about 4 ingredients, cream, sugar, eggs, and vanilla (or whichever flavor you choose). Eating fresh fruits and veggies and attempting to buy organic meats, dairy etc is really my main goal when grocery shopping. you should try it too!

No comments: