Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Roast Chicken- poor little birdy!


After the gym yesterday, where I ran on the treadmill and my hip started hurting- again, I ran to the grocery store to grab some ingredients. I was all psyched to make Enchiladas for John and myself. I have never made them before and for some reason I really wanted to. But John decided to stay home last night, so I didn't want to make them until he came over tonight. I had already bought the ingredients and I needed to cook chicken for them anyway, so I roasted a chicken that I had purchased with some beets I had on hand, carrots, potatoes, a few onions and some garlic and sage. If I am going to make a roast chicken for guests, I try to make it a little nicer than last night's. I usually use a lemon and I will stuff the bird with herbs etc. But I was casual and it was just for me.
Actually, I didn't even eat this for dinner last night. I roasted it for one hour and while I was doing this I got hungry, so I decided to make a mini-Mexican meal. I soaked a tortilla in the enchilada sauce I bought for tonight's enchiladas, layered it with jack and cheddar cheese, and stuck it in a dry pan. Two minutes later my yummy quesadilla was ready. I paired it with 1/4 avocado and some fire roasted tomato salsa. Good stuff!

Another close up of the raw bird...
Anyway, I took the chicken out of the oven and allowed it to cool. I then put all the veggies in a big tupperware and went to town on shredding the thing. I used about 3/4 of it for the enchiladas, the rest I added to the veggies (guess what I ate for lunch today...)

So there's my chicken. Afterwards I am going to admit that I committed the ULTIMATE cooking sin. I discarded the bird instead of making stock. I know I know, I should have stuck that thing in my HUGE pot that I have, perfect for making stock, and cooked it up. I actually have extra carrots, celery, and onions in the fridge at the moment too. I have NO excuse, except it was about midnight and I was tired.

No comments: