Monday, July 21, 2008

What to Have in a Pantry at All Times

According to Sara Moulton of "Sara's Secret's" on the Food Network and of Gourmet Magazine, these are her top picks for what every pantry needs. I agree with some of them (I can't tell you how many kitchens I have been in that are lacking simple things like vinegar or soy sauce) but there are others that seem arbitrary (roasted pimentos?!). I would have to add honey to this list. Hmmm, what else? A jar of pasta sauce, popcorn (snack attack), I always have bread at all times, and butter, but those aren't really pantry staples because they spoil more quickly. I do usually have a can of sardines in my pantry, as I love them on crackers with some mustard. Or between two pieces of (untoasted) fresh whole wheat bread with some lettuce, thinly sliced cucumber, dijon mustard and fresh cracked pepper. Trust me, this is one of the best sandwiches you can have. It is inexpensive and full or both protein and calcium.

Canned and Bottled Items:
Tuna, in oil or water
Anchovies
Beans-pinto, white, and black
Chicken broth
Plum tomatoes
artichoke hearts
Peanut butter
Roasted pimentos
Olives
Capers
Dijon mustard
Soy sauce

Pastas , Beans, Grains:
Various pastas
Couscous
Cornmeal
Rice-brown, arborio, basmati, long-grain
Lentils

Oils:
Vegetable
Extra-virgin Olive

Vinegars:
White or red wine
Cider
Balsamic
Sherry wine

Misc.:
Sun-dried tomatoes
Dry mushrooms
Onions, shallots and garlic
Potatoes

Various spices

No comments: